I initially attempted to help conduct a national search for the best superintendent for our schools, regardless of whether they are currently employed by Katy ISD or not. After receiving a cease and desist letter from Katy ISD’s general counsel, I’ve revised the post and responded. I guess the school does not want us finding the best for our kids, they just want to give the appearance that they conducted a search so they can handpick their lone finalist like they always do.
If anyone outside of Katy ISD is still interested in this position, feel free to contact me to discuss. If anyone internally is interested in this position, I’d be happy to discuss with you as well.
Superintendent – Internal Applicants Only
JOB STATUS: OPEN
POSTING DATE: 12/03/2018
CLOSING DATE: 12/14/2018 04:00 PMPOSTING NUMBER: 00015079
LOCATION: Admin/ESCPOSITION TITLE: Superintendent – Internal Applicants Only
Act as the educational leader and chief executive officer of the district, responsible for the effective execution of policies adopted by the district’s board of trustees. Assume administrative responsibility for the planning, operation, supervision, and evaluation of the education programs, services, and facilities of the district and for the annual appraisal of district staff. Perform job responsibilities in accordance with Board Policies BJA Legal and Local.
*KISD EMPLOYEES ONLY* – Must have current or former principal experience
All interested applicants please refer to the “Inquiries To/Additional Info” section for application procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Be informed about all aspects of the instructional program and ensure that there is a continuous focus on improving student academic performance.
2. Work with the staff, board, and community to plan curriculum.
3. Develop, evaluate, and revise the district improvement plan annually with the assistance of the district-level committee.
4. Prepare reports and assist the board in evaluating the effectiveness of school programs.
School or Organization Morale
5. Demonstrate skill in anticipating, managing, and resolving conflict.
6. Provide for two-way communication with district personnel.
School or Organization Improvement
7. Conduct periodic evaluations of all programs and operations to determine improvements needed to reach the goals of district and campus improvement plans.
8. Use a collaborative decision-making and problem-solving process when appropriate.
9. Promote goal-oriented performance and support the achievement of campus performance objectives (academic excellence indicators).
10. Recommend the number and types of positions needed to carry out district functions effectively and organize the district’s central administration.
11. Promote a positive work environment that fosters high staff morale and excellence in the district.
12. Employ noncontractual personnel. Recommend contractual personnel for employment.
13. Assign and reassign all personnel. Exercise final authority over the transfer of educators due to enrollment shifts or program changes.
14. Define the duties of all personnel.
15. Direct and supervise the staff evaluation program.
16. Initiate the termination or suspension of employees or nonrenewal of term-contract personnel. Dismiss noncontractual personnel.
17. Serve as liaison between the board and staff.
18. Develop and recommend pay systems, pay increases, or pay adjustments for personnel. Administer pay systems.
19. Support all professional development activities.
Management of Fiscal, Administrative, and Facilities Functions
20. Be informed of developments in state, federal, and local laws and changes in public policy affecting education.21. Develop administrative procedures and regulations to manage school operations and implement policies adopted by the board.
22. Accurately prepare and submit in a timely manner all reports required by the board, the Texas Education Agency, and other federal and state agencies and any records subpoenaed by a court of law.
23. Prepare and submit an annual proposed budget to the board.
24. Direct and supervise all financial accounting and ensure that funds are spent in accordance with the approved budget and managed effectively.
25. Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal requirements.
26. Ensure that the school plant and facilities are properly maintained and that adequate provision is made for the safety of students, employees, and other users of school facilities.
27. Monitor district property, casualty, and workers compensation loss experience to ensure that appropriate risk management and loss control strategies are employed.
28. Ensure a favorable education environment through the implementation of an equitable and effective system of student discipline management.
29. Work with staff, board, and community to plan and implement support services for students.
School or Community Relations
30. Develop and implement effective communication between the schools and the community. Promote community support and involvement with the schools.
31. Represent the district in activities involving other school systems, institutions, agencies, and professional or community groups.
Professional Growth and Development
32. Formulate, with the board, an annual professional development plan and assist the board in designing a process for evaluating the superintendent’s performance.
33. Pursue professional development through reading, attending conferences, and involvement with related agencies or organizations.
34. Assist the board in identifying individual and team training needs and in arranging training opportunities.
35. Prepare board agendas and meeting materials in cooperation with the board president.
36. Attend and participate in all board meetings except closed meetings from which the superintendent is excluded, such as when the board wants to discuss the superintendent’s contract or evaluation privately.
37. Keep the board continuously informed on issues, needs, and operations of the district.
38. Recommend policies to the board for adoption and oversee the implementation of adopted policies.
39. Exercise discretion and judgment in matters not covered by board policy.
40. Interpret board policies to the staff and community and implement them accordingly.
41. Serve as custodian of all board minutes and records.
42. Communicate with the district’s attorney on matters in litigation or matters potentially in litigation except as otherwise directed by the board.
Exercise general supervision over all schools in the district. Maintain authority over all district employees and over programs they are responsible for implementing. Be accountable to the board of trustees.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent district and statewide travel; frequent prolonged and irregular hours.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Interested Applicants: Please email a copy of your letter of interest and resume to HR Executive Director, Dr. Neta Hill (NetaYHill@KATYISD.ORG). DO NOT submit an online application, resume, and/or cover letter in WinOcular. Only applicants who submit the outlined information via email will be considered for this position.
DUTY DAYS: 238
GROUP / GRADE:
REPORTS TO: Katy ISD School Board (January 2019)