We are raising money for the defense fund to protect citizens who have exercised their first amendment right of free speech. You can donate to the fund here. If the Katy ISD School Board decides to use tax dollars to sue its own citizens for defamation against a public figure, all remaining dollars will be distributed directly to Katy ISD students in the form of scholarships. With Texas SLAPP laws, there is a high probability that all defense fees will be paid for by KISD. If that occurs, all funds will go directly to KISD students.
Scholarship Application Process:
1. All ages may apply. Please provide your name, your school, and graduation year along with a minimum 500-word-letter about one of the following topics:
- Being a victim of bullying, and how it affected you or how you overcame it.
- Being a bully yourself, and how you changed for the better. If you identify your victim, they may also be eligible for an additional scholarship in your name.
- Standing up for another student who was being bullied. If you identify the victim, they may also be eligible for an additional scholarship in your name.
- Perform one random act of kindness every day to your fellow students for 30 days, documenting what you did and the results.
2. Answer this question: As a student, what policy would you implement to mitigate bullying in Katy ISD, and why do you think your policy would make a meaningful reduction in the amount of bullying that takes place?
3. Send your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Scholarship Application.
4. Please express whether you would like this story to be made public or kept private.
We require at least 500 words, but don’t hold back, we’ll read every word you write.
The minimum amount for each scholarship given will be $1,000 per student. Based on the content of the story and how many funds we raise, I may increase this amount. I don’t know how many will be rewarded until I know the amount we have leftover, but if I can give out 250 of these, I’ll be thrilled.
I encourage the students of KISD to be the change in the world, to create a better legacy for yourself, your fellow students and the amazing teachers in our school district. Treat each other with kindness and respect. Of utmost importance, when you or other students are faced with a bully, never be afraid to stand up for yourself. If you need help, ask for it. You are not alone.